4 Tech Related Problems That Can Be The Death Of A Small Business!
Most small businesses will cut out any technical support to help lower monthly costs and simply appoint the “tech guru” of the office to deal with all the problems from critical system failure to a forgotten password.
Some others turn to the hardware/software’s manufacture for support but depending on the size of the manufacturer, you could end up with an attentive service or service that has poor customer service. These support methods aren’t an effective way to manage your IT support…
Small businesses need to have a specific knowledge base for their employees, may that be in-house or outsourced. In-house can have faster care solutions and is more personal but outsourcing is more cost effective, more efficient but takes longer for the outsourced company to get familiar with the small business.
Insufficient Power Protection
At any given time, a power surge or outage has the capability of damaging or destroying critical equipment storing precious data. If your equipment experience minor surges on a consistent basis it can SEVERELY decrease the devices lifespan resulting in you having to purchase more hardware.
Many businesses take a careless approach towards surge protection when in reality, it’s quite important. Some counter measures range from power surge plug extensions and some company still use surge suppressors deployed up to five to ten years ago!
Businesses should make sure that their equipment has surge protection for all devices in the building with Uninterruptible Power Supplies attached to the servers, with regular checks of the equipment and UPS to make sure your overall protection is secure.
When you join a company, an amount of training is normally required to get you up to date with all of the companies software’s and practices. But that is not where it should end. You or your employees should be looking to extend your business knowledge every opportunity you get but it also depends on the sector of work that you reside in.
If you work in a sector that deals with a lot of technology, then it is very important to make sure that you keep up to date with plenty of training. This is because technology is constantly changing and releasing advances every day.
But how does this apply in the general workplace?
It’s estimated that a staff member understands less that 20% of each of the software that they use. With the proper training, the rest of the 80% can be used to help save time and save money… but they remain unused. Coincidently, increases the likelihood of errors entering the process and take a much longer time to complete wasting more time and money.
Small businesses these days constantly either don’t take security seriously or just don’t recognise the everyday risks that can occur. In 2014, the average amount of money small businesses lost was £65,000 to £115,000 depending on business size. That’s enough to close some company’s doors for good.
You might be thinking that because your company is small and of the radar it won’t be targeted, but you are wrong. These days, the internet is filled with automated bots and spyware that searches for easy targets 24/7. If your system is poorly secured, you may get a visit from one of these and if you fall victim to such a thing you will normally be penalised for it, being labelled as not secure leading to you losing sales.
Here are a few simple steps your company should adopt to help secure your systems and servers;
- Enforce strong passwords for all PCs, servers, network equipment, and software applications. This consists of at least 8 characters with one of them being a number.
- Check for updates to your systems, especially your operating system. It is one the easiest exploits for a hacker to use.
- Deploy business-class firewalls in all locations and connect no systems directly to the Internet.
- Secure all wireless networks by using WPA2 connections not WPA connections.
- Use anti-virus/anti-spyware software’s.
- Regularly update the anti-virus software.
- Regularly perform security audits/scans on your equipment and if any problems arise, amend them.